In order to understand how fire extinguishers work, you first need to know a little bit about fire.
Fire requires 3 elements to ignite and burn;
- Oxidizing agent – Usually oxygen
- Fuel – Wood, plastic, rubber, petroleum products (gas, diesel), etc.
- Heat – Cigarettes, lighters, electricity, sparks, etc.
The Fire Triangle
- A fire naturally occurs when the three elements are present and combined in the right mixture.
- The elements cause a chemical reaction, which is fire.
- This means fire is not a thing, but actually an event.
- A fire can be prevented or extinguished by removing any one of the elements in the fire triangle.