Means of Access
Many equipment injuries occur due to:
- Jumping off equipment
- Wet & icy surfaces
- Worn or improper boots
- Poorly maintained access routes
Controls for Means of Access
- Means of access to the operator’s station does not endanger the worker.
- Skid-resistant walking & climbing surfaces.
- Handholds & footholds are sufficient to allow 3-point contact for mounting or dismounting.
- Always face equipment when mounting or dismounting.
- Never jump on or off the machine.
- Never attempt to mount or dismount a moving machine.
- Do not use the steering wheel or any control lever as a handhold when entering or leaving the machine.
Start-Up – Functional Test
- Start the engine from the operator’s seat only.
- Never start the engine by shorting across starter terminals or reaching the key outside the cab.